One of the tools available in the Google Apps For Education (GAFE) suite is Google classroom. It gives the teacher the ability to set assignments, allows students to return assignments, and facilitates teachers’ engagement with students as they complete their assignments.
So. How to get started with this?
If you are a teacher in a school / Institution using GAFE, then you need the administrator to register you as a ‘classroom-teacher’.
Next, go to classroom.google.com and sign in with your GAFE account
Once you are logged in, you will get a home page that will show all the classes you have created (but that’s a step or two later)
First, how to create a classgroup:
On your homescreen, near the top at the right hand side, you will see a + sign. Click on this, and you should see a drop-down menu like the one here:
Click on the ‘Create Class’ option.
That will give you this screen:
Give your shiny new class a name (and a section if you’re doing just one part of a course)
Once you click ‘Create’ you will be taken to this or a screen like it:
At this point you can take the (brief) tour offered at the bottom right-hand-side of the page, or you can dive in and add students to the class.
Here, you have two options:
- Give students the class code (listed at the bottom right of the page). The students then log into their google account, go to classroom.google.com and type in the code.
- Invite students manually
To invite students manually, click on the ‘Students’ tab in the top centre part of the page.
Click on the nice, blue ‘Invite’ button and you will get this option:
The system will first give you the option of inviting students in your own contacts list. This is actually limited unless you already have the students’ email address. You need to click on the ‘My contacts’ button, and then click on ‘Directory’. This will give you the directory of all the users with an account in your school (domain)
The hard part now is to actually add students from the directory in the most economical way possible!
Here’s what works for me:
- Have your roll handy
- Type the first name of a student into the search box
- You will be shown all the students with that first name
- Tick the check-box beside his/her name
- Once his/her name appears in the box below, type in the name of the next student
- Repeat until you have all your students included
- At this point click on the ‘Invite Students’ button
- The students will now receive an email inviting them to join your class group
- They need to click the longer link in the email.
- This will bring them to their classroom account, and they will then need to accept your invitation.
There are extra options at this point. You can click on the ‘About’ button for your class group to set more information (your choice!)
If you are already using Classroom and have tips, ideas or more suggestions – I’d love to hear them!
Sharing Documents in Google Drive
Getting Started in Google Drive